Please note: SwissSign must implement a new standard for e-mail certificates, the S/MIME BRG. As a consequence, SwissSign will have to generate the password to protect your key in case of provider-side key generation. In addition, the message confirming possession of the e-mail address is now only valid for 24 hours. The new requirements were implemented on 24 July 2023.
- Verification of identity: E-mail address, no verification of the organisation or the applicant.
- Term of one, two or three years
- Software-based, i.e. certificate file
- An unlimited number of copies can be used on laptops, PCs and mobile devices.
- Managed PKI: Yes
- Telephone and e-mail support in German, English and French
- The certificate is issued within a matter of seconds or minutes following the application and after the electronic validation process via the e-mail address.
- Not generally usable for Adobe PDF signature. Only usable for internal purposes if Adobe is configured to use the Microsoft Certificate store.
- Recognised root CA
- SHA-2 hash algorithm
- Encryption of up to 256 bits
- Key length of up to 2,048 bits or higher
- Key use: Digital signature, Key Encipherment, Data Encipherment, secure e-mail
- Distribution: All common browsers and platforms. See Compatibility
- License can be used on an unlimited number of computers and mobile devices.
- Validation with OCSP and CRL
- User account for certificate management
- Revocation service for the revoking of certificates
- Notification 30 days and 10 days prior to expiry of validity
- Support of directory services (LDAP) for mutual key exchange under the search field at www.swisssign.net or under directory.swisssign.net with the search basis ‹o=SwissSign,c=CH›
- Applicant-specific entries in the certificate:
- CN = common name: e-mail address (mandatory)
- Period of validity
- SAN (SubjectAlternativeName) entry contains the e-mail address.
- Further applicant-specific entries are not permitted and are removed from a CSR.
- All applicable policies for public SwissSign certificates are published on the “Support\Repository” page. The policies specific to this certificate type are listed on the corresponding subpage.
Validation is performed electronically
- Simple electronic validation process via an e-mail sent to the desired address
- The mail account for the verification should already be available.